Mill Springs National Cemetery

One of the original 12 national cemeteries created by Congress, the Mill Springs National Cemetery officially opened in 1867. The cemetery encompasses approximately 7 acres (one of the smallest active national cemeteries in the country) and holds the graves of many of the Union soldiers killed in the Battle of Mill Springs and other soldiers from the time of the Civil War through today.

In the southwest corner of the cemetery is the grave of William and Nancy Logan. The Logans owned most of the land where the battle occurred, and they donated the land to the government for the national cemetery. He died Oct. 16, 1884, and she died March 24, 1896. 

One particularly notable person resting in this cemetery is Sgt. Brent Woods, an African-American Congressional Medal of Honor winner for his service in the Indian Wars. Woods' grave is located beside the flagpole near the center of the cemetery.

Standing at a rock wall, the original cemetery wall built in 1867, and looking south across Highway 80, one can view the battle area from the Federal viewpoint. In the orchard directly across the road was the camp of the 1st Ohio artillery, with the camp of the 10th Indiana located a few hundred yards to the front.

Mill Springs National Cemetery was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1998.

Site Search

Battle Film Sidebar Module

Driving Tour Sidebar MODULE